WELCOME

I am a stay at home mom who is fed up with spending a large portion of income on grocery bills. It is my job, according to God, to be a good help mate for my husband. I am trying to live up to my job description. I am starting a journey into the grocery coupon world and invite you to come with me. I have never used coupons for grocery shopping and as of January 1st 2008 I am diving in. I will be using http://www.thegrocerygame/ , http://www.moneysavingmom.com and the http://www.couponmom.com/ website to guide me on how to save money. I am going to treat this adventure as a part time job and put in the hours necessary to make it work. I am excited and nervous to get started.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Changing the system

I have changed my shopping system a little and I thought I would share. I now have a three ring binder with baseball card inserts which hold all of my coupons. I do not take a clipboard anymore. I stick my Grocery Game list into my binder. My binder is divided into sections, here are all or most of my sections. Obviously you make your sections to what best suits you.

Baby
Beverage
Breakfast
Desserts
Condiments
Canned goods
Other food
Refrigerated
Frozen
Toiletries
Cleaning products
Paper products
Medication

At the back of most of these sections I have a page protector. This protector allows me to store extra (over flow) coupons in it. That way I do not have to keep buying inserts.

I pull all of my coupons I am going to use before I shop. Then I put them into an envelope before I get to the store. Then as I am shopping I pull out the coupons and check expiration date again and quantity per coupon etc. Any coupons I decide not to use I slide them into the sizable pocket in the front of my binder. When I get to the cash register all of my coupons I am using are in my envelope. All of the coupons in my binder pocket get refiled at a later date. Sometimes a much later date.

1 comment:

Lori said...

That's a great idea. I also put all of my coupons in an envelope. Too, if I am using one of the "e-coupons" I print out the page showing the "ecoupon" and put the corresponding paper coupon inside the printout. This way I make sure to buy the right thing!