WELCOME

I am a stay at home mom who is fed up with spending a large portion of income on grocery bills. It is my job, according to God, to be a good help mate for my husband. I am trying to live up to my job description. I am starting a journey into the grocery coupon world and invite you to come with me. I have never used coupons for grocery shopping and as of January 1st 2008 I am diving in. I will be using http://www.thegrocerygame/ , http://www.moneysavingmom.com and the http://www.couponmom.com/ website to guide me on how to save money. I am going to treat this adventure as a part time job and put in the hours necessary to make it work. I am excited and nervous to get started.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Say Hello to My Little Friend


Here it is!
Say hello to my little friend.

I got my slow cooker yesterday. Today I am whipping up chili. I just finished adding everything into the slow cooker.

This is a Smart Pot, which means it will turn onto a warm setting once the cook time has been reached. It has four different cook settings, a high 4 or 6 hour and a low 8 or 10 hour setting. I got the 5 quart round pot. I was looking at the more expensive ones but they were just to big. This baby cost $24.88 at Wal-mart and I will get a $5 rebate.

Here is the recipe from Betty Crocker

Family Favorite Chili

2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
2 Tbs chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can (15 or 16 ounces) kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Cook beef in skillet until brown.
Mix beef and remaining ingredients except beans into slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until onion is tender
Stir in beans. Cover and cook on high for 15 to 20 minutes or until chili is slightly thickened.

I cook everything in my slow cooker on low. I have used high a couple of times but the meat seems to get tough. Remember slow is the way to go.

If you have any good slow cooker recipes I would love you to leave it in the comment section.

No comments: